Permits and Notices

Permits and Notices

Various environmental actions require a notification or permitting procedure. The municipal environmental protection authority advises on these permitting procedures. Certain measures require authorization, some of which are sufficient to notify the authorities. Both private citizens and businesses need permits.

Environmental permit

According to the Environmental Protection Act, activities that involve a risk of environmental pollution require an environmental permit. An activity permit must be obtained if it may cause pollution of land, a ditch, a spring, a trench or other body of water, for example.

Water management projects that pose a risk of environmental pollution and do not require a permit under the Water Act are also subject to an environmental permit. In addition to the new activity subject to a permit, the environmental permit must be for the activity that increases the emissions or their effects or for other material changes to the activity.

Activities subject to environmental permits include, for example, the forest, metal and chemical industries, energy production, animal shelters, professional or institutional waste management, mining, fur farming, fish farming and port and airport operations. An environmental permit is also required if the activity may place an unreasonable burden on those living nearby.

Water permit

Even minor alterations to a body of water may require a permit under the Water Act. It is worth asking the environmental authority for advice.

Soil permit

A permit from the municipality is required to take and transport soil, ie stone, gravel, sand, clay and soil. The Soil Act regulates the extraction of soils. Among other things, the purchaser must ensure that the extraction of soil does not damage the landscape or cause undue harm to the environment. The holder of the authorization must declare annually the quantity and quality of the material taken.

The municipality directs and supervises the extraction of soil in its area. If the municipality does not grant a permit for the extraction of soil and the landowner cannot use the area for agriculture and forestry, construction or the like, the municipality or the state has an obligation to redeem the area.

If the taking of materials reduces the value of a nearby property or makes it more difficult to use it, the owner or occupier of the property is entitled to receive compensation from the person taking the materials for the damage caused.

The normal, own household use of soils for housing and agriculture and forestry does not require a soil permit. Even then, it must be related to construction or maintenance of transport links. If the use of the soil is large, it must be reported to the supervisory authorities.

Noise notification

Temporary events and work that cause particularly disturbing noise or vibration must be reported to the municipal environmental protection authority in accordance with section 118 of the Environmental Protection Act. The notification must be made, for example, for excavation and crushing. Temporary events that must be reported include outdoor concerts, motorsport competitions, and other major public events that may cause noise nuisance.